Mmm, dogfood. Here at PBwiki, we make use of our own product pretty extensively. And having used an internal PBwiki for some three years, we’ve accumulated a pretty large collection of material! This makes it ever more important that we be able to search it and find what we’re looking for. So we’ve dramatically overhauled (and improved) search.
You may have noticed when PBwiki search improved a few weeks ago, getting phrase search, boolean inclusion/exclusion, and filename matching. Well hold onto your pants, because you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.
Search has been dramatically restyled again:
- Information about who last edited a page and when
- Suggesting page names similar to your search query
- An adding helpful icons to the result list to let you quickly distinguish wiki pages from PDFs
- Giving up to 200 characters of “snippet” context (vs 80 previously)
- Ranking search results and interleaving results from wiki pages, discussions, and filenames
- Letting you drill down to only search pages with a given tag or in a certain folder
Coming very soon? The ability to search inside PDFs, Word DOCs, Excel files, PowerPoint, and more.
If you have feedback about this new feature, what you like and don’t, please chip in here and I’ll read every comment! 🙂